[ale] question about hiring developers

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jul 15 14:13:45 EDT 2008

You should compare the cost of living in Phoenix Arizona.

At the current gas rate here in Atlanta, $60k could be a bit low.
Especially if the
job requires driving into the office each an every day.  Luckily I
stopped that madness
years ago.

I thought that if I did ever look for another job that I would do
something radical and request compensation based on my expenses.  If
they really want me onsite then my compensation will be higher due to
$4/gal gas.  If I'm at home then I can pass those savings on to my
employer.  Maybe when the employer has to pay for gas they are open to
ways to save that money.

I don't want to upset job lookers here but what you might want to try is
to post the job
and not post the salary.  See what hits you get and make decisions based
on that.  If you get now hits then possibly there are no qualified
people in Phoenix.  If you do get hits then you need to tell management
that they need to either look for another developer in another city to
work remote or raise their rate.