[ale] question about hiring developers

Chris Kleeschulte chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com
Tue Jul 15 13:52:04 EDT 2008

So I am an IT director for a company based in Phoenix, AZ. Really, I
am a computer scientist would agreed to manage a team of 3
developers. I have been in charge of hiring new people for our
growing business, but I am really having a hard time finding people.
Not just "qualified" people, just people in general.

I live in Atlanta and work from home, but upper management wants
someone on site in AZ. I have advertised on Craig's and with the
LUG's in the area. At this point, is it worth my time to go to
monster and all the big job sites?

What are your feelings on how to hire quality people in general? I am
a bit unskilled in selecting the right people. I had a pipe dream
that offering a job with pay of over 60K would just bring in
applicants. This job is all linux all day and programming in PHP,
Ruby, Python. I would jump at this job if it were me needing a gig.

I have also checked what the market rate for this type of job should
pay. This is a really rough estimate, but what should a programmer
with imperative type programming experience (2-3 years) be paid?  I
have friends on the Microsoft side that work as Exchange architects
and they make 120K+. Is this high rate just an anomaly, or do people
on the Microsoft really make that kind of coin?

Chris Kleeschulte