[ale] Seeking quality embedded SOHO firewall/wireless/vpn device that supports Linux

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Jul 14 13:27:53 EDT 2008

Guys,

For years and years, I've used a combination of a Linksys WAP and open
source (at times homegrown, Smoothwall, PFsense, and now IPCop)
firewalls to protect my home LAN. However, given space requirements in
my office and the attempt to be greener, I'm eliminating most of my
desktop machines with low-power devices. I first replaced my homegrown
NAS with a NetGear ReadyNAS device (which, btw, is very nice and runs
Debian under the covers)...now, I'm looking at the firewall.

I'd like a device that will provide very, very good protection on the
broadband and wireless interfaces, while allowing wireless clients to
connect via VPN so that they can access the rest of my LAN. It's also
very important that the VPN works well with Linux.

Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable, and most important, secure, device?

Thanks!

John