[ale] Assigning NICs to ethernet devices

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 16 21:59:59 EST 2008

Typically, the interface can be set in /etc/modules.conf or in the
ifcfg-ethX file using the MAC address.

alias eth0=<module name> for the modules.conf file

There are some special situations to watch out for with modules like
wireless NICs and ethernet bonding. For bonding, all the other
interfaces MUST be defined first (i.e. earlier in the modules.conf file
than the bonding module). The wireless cards are variable and some some
must be called by their "proper" name (atheros cards like ath0) and
others can be aliased as wifi0. I don't know the details on these.

Routes: Once you change interfaces around, you'll want to restart
networking anyway. I have not had good success with virtual interfaces
and a manual ifconfig up command (I don't know why it doesn't work and
have looked into it). Most network restarts will also flush the route
tables  but a few won't. So be sure you manually reload any special
routes.
On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 19:12 -0500, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Good evening my snow bound friends!
>
> I thought would push this out before charter blamed the snow
> for their crappy network. But I was wondering how people
> assign NICs to ethernet devices during installation (and even
> after installation)?  Pick whatever distro you like, I would like
> the ability to assign eth0 to a certain NIC, eth1 to another, and
> so on. I've not had any trouble with FC8 or CentOS, but I'm
> having trouble with a different distro that I'm testing (I don't
> want to say anything since the distro is not really "out" yet).
>
> Also, is there a nice simple tool that allows you to move NICs
> and device names that also allows you to configure the interface
> (IP, netmask, gateway, etc.) and will fix up the routing table
> for you?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

James P. Kinney III