[ale] Assigning NICs to ethernet devices

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Wed Jan 16 19:11:50 EST 2008

Good evening my snow bound friends!

I thought would push this out before charter blamed the snow
for their crappy network. But I was wondering how people
assign NICs to ethernet devices during installation (and even
after installation)?  Pick whatever distro you like, I would like
the ability to assign eth0 to a certain NIC, eth1 to another, and
so on. I've not had any trouble with FC8 or CentOS, but I'm
having trouble with a different distro that I'm testing (I don't
want to say anything since the distro is not really "out" yet).

Also, is there a nice simple tool that allows you to move NICs
and device names that also allows you to configure the interface
(IP, netmask, gateway, etc.) and will fix up the routing table
for you?

Thanks!

Jeff