[ale] Configuring iptables in Slack-12.0

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 25 09:43:31 EST 2008

ALErs -

I want [need!] to configure the firewall setting of my new Slack-12 box. I
see commented-out example settings in '/etc/rc.d/modules.rc'. Is this the
correct spot to set the firewall rules, is there a separate spot for that,
or is there a handy 'iptables' configuring tool to use? Alternatively,
should I introduce a new script specifically to set up 'iptables'?

Naturally '/var/log/messages' reports the usual semi-continuous meteor
shower of brute-force login attempts. (One early rule will clearly be
dropping packets from a given IP after some small number of login failures
within a few seconds!)

Thanks.

  - Mills