[ale] linux friendly isp for dsl

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Mon Apr 14 14:54:02 EDT 2008

    I'd agree with Michael on just about all he said, although I'll add
that it's really because of needing to have a Windows machine on-hand to
prove to AT&T tier 1 & 2 tech support that indeed the issue I'm calling
about is not internal wiring and not because I run Linux. I have had to
reset my modem from pass-thru mode and connect a Windows laptop on more
than one occasion to prove to tech support that the problem was not OS
related.

    Even more recently I lost complete dial-tone service on a Sunday
afternoon, dial-tone returned within 3 hours after I spoke with a
manager that assured me they could get it fixed before the initial 24
hour ETR I had been given by the lower level support rep. When dial-tone
did return DSL service did not, in fact it didn't return for another 27
hours as I went round and round with them stating it was an internal
wiring issue when nothing had changed in my house and the internal
wiring consisted of a 2-3 ft wire from the NID to the demarc where the
modem connects.

    Regards,
    Jeremy