[ale] linux friendly isp for dsl

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Apr 14 14:34:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 12:36 -0400, Frank Ivey wrote:
> With the recent/current issue with speedfactory service outage, I'm
> considering switching dsl isp providers for my home use. I'm looking for
> recommendations for Linux/Mac OS X friendly isp. If they have local to
> Metro Atlanta tech staff that would be a plus.

	In all honesty, I haven't run into one in a long LONG time that was
unfriendly toward Linux.  Now, granted, they "don't support it", in
other words, they can't answer your Linux questions.  You are expected
to support Linux itself.  But they are not antipathetic toward Linux.
I've dealt with Comcast and BellSouth, and SpeedFactory and a host of
others.  Once it a while you end up with a clueless newbie first tier
support who can't seem to deviate from reading from a script.  That's
just them and you'll run into them everywhere.  Someone was complaining
about BellSouth not supporting Linux but they even have Linux
instruction pages.

	When you say "Linux friendly" do you mean one that's not going to give
you a lot of static and insist that you must use windows?  Or to you
mean one that's going to hold your hand and answer every little Linux
configuration question you should be able to figure out yourself?  If
the former, I would say damn near all of them.  If the later, I would
say damn near none of them.

> Thanks

> Frank

> Help GDOT serve you better. Visit http://www.howsmyservice.dot.ga.gov and rate the service you received from Team GDOT.