[ale] Mobo + Intel chip recommendations, please

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Mon Apr 7 01:04:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>  What constitutes 100% used? I know that most of the time when I'm using
>  my laptop (email, surfing, writing) its CPU is still running in low
>  power mode. Processors can ramp up/down from these modes much faster
>  than you can notice.

Games (it's an XP box after all...) and Audio processing (Sonar).
Both activities are CPU intensive, in fact throttling actually can
cause problems.

>  It sounds like you've got some good intel advice, I'll just chip in with
>  some AMD recommendations in case you change your mind. The advantage for
>  AMD right now is that you can get low electricity usage or quad core for
>  less than intel, plus by all accounts the 780G chipset is very nice.
>
>  GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
>  $99.99
>
>  AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W
>  Dual-Core Processor
>  $99.99
>
>  AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+
>  95W Quad-Core Processor
>  $168.30

I've long been an AMD fan, both for the price as well as the quality.
BUT... Sonar seems to have some periodic issues and the first thing
support and others say is "Intel works for me" :-(

-Jim P.