[ale] ??Recomendations for new wireless router??

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Apr 4 17:40:10 EDT 2008

On Fri April 4 2008, Thompson Freeman wrote:
> Since it is for me, I'll probably stick to consumer grade
> stuff, but would strongly consider flashing third party
> firmware. I'm also likely to shop the brick&morter crowd
> here in Charlotte, so clues as to how to ensure I get the
> "right" or planned hardware are appreciated also.

there was a thread about this just recently:
I ordered mine from Amazon --
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B000BTL0OA/

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Christopher Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 12:44 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
>  > I use a Linksys WRT54G-L with Tomato installed
>  > (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato). It's the only Linksys product I've
>  > found to be worth the money. But I think that is mostly because I
>  > don't have to use their firmware! ;)
>  >
>
>  I've been thinking about buying one of those.  Do you know if I can buy
>  one outside of eBay?
>
>  Last time I traveled I staid in the same room with my business partner
>  and we needed access to the office.  I took an older Linksys BET... and
>  attached it to the wired segment of the hotel.  We then fired up out
>  laptops.  Since I run Linux and VTUN, I had access.  He did not.  I
>  eventually plugged him into my laptop and I ran as a router.  I thought
>  that I could find another Linksys, load the Linux based firmware, vtun,
>  and we both have access to the office.
>
>  Chris

I can second this approach. You can get a router that's probably as

powerful as your current PC [0] but will use only a half-dozen watts.

The Asus Wl-500G is what I have, and the Linksys WRTSL54GS may also be a
good choice. Both have 266mhz processors, 32mb of RAM, 8mb of flash, and
a usb port for adding storage or a printer. The Asus is $80 on newegg.

I've been happily running the "White Russian" release of the OpenWRT
firmware [0] and the X-Wrt web interface [1] for a while. Right now I'm
just using it for DNS, DHCP, and QoS, but it has everything you could
want: linux, busybox, and a package management system with prebuilt
binaries for lots of software like Apache, Asterisk, CUPS, OpenVPN, etc.

-Brian

[0] http://openwrt.org/
[1] http://x-wrt.org/

--