[ale] Fwd: new linux user

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:13:27 EDT 2007

Pretty accurate. Virtualization ain't exactly like cygwin. cygwin is a bunch
of linux programs ported to the windows environment (including bash(1), so
it sort of looks like a virtualized linux/unix environment).

True virtualization means running one operating system as a program under
another. So you can have one or more virtual  windows machines running as
programs in a linux environment, or one or more virtual linux boxes running
under windows, or of course windows/windows and linux/linux environments.
There're several programs around which will allow this -- the most famous is
probably vmware, a commercial product which can do any of the scenarios I've
outlined above. I've used it, and although running multiple vms tends to eat
a lot of memory and speed it's pretty ok good. Other solutions include
VServer (less resource-intensive, easy to get virtual machines to interact
with each other) and Xen (requires modifications to the OS which is gonna
run as a program).

I'd advise you to configure your machine dual-boot, unless you have some
specific burning need to either keep a windows instance running all the time
or hot-switch between linux and windows without rebooting. Most of the time
you'll encounter vmware and its cousins on a server.

And hey, welcome to the list!

-- CHS