[ale] Looking for a little server

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:29:34 EST 2007

How many of these are you planning to sell? Not to rain on your parade or
anything, but if you're not expecting to do a pretty big volume, you're
probably going to want to look at your run-of-the-mill Dell or HP 1U boxes.

I know lots of companies that use SuperMicro and HP as their appliance
provider. If you're expecting to have some serious volume (like Barracuda,
for example), I'd strongly suggest you talk to one of the "big boys" to
handle your appliance hardware.

If you're expecting a small volume, pretty much the basic 1U boxes are all
about the same, so go for the one that seems the most supportable.

WMM

On Nov 19, 2007 1:58 PM, Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net> wrote:

> Robert -
>
> Last year, I found that a 1U with dual PSses puts you into a big step
> increase price-wise over single-PS units.  I wound up going with a
> Supermicro SuperServer into which I dropped RAM, CPU, and disks that I
> sourced elsewhere.  Tyan and I think Asus also have similar offerings.
>
> My Supermicro has been working very, very nicely in colo but it had a
> marginal PS that had to be replaced first - box kept shutting off by
> itself - and getting a replacement was not trivial due to the need to
> match sizes exactly (in fact, I went make/model-exact because I didn't
> want to incur any screw-hole mismatches).
>
> - Jeff
>
> Robert L. Harris wrote:

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2