[ale] Looking for a little server

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 13:58:14 EST 2007

Robert -

Last year, I found that a 1U with dual PSses puts you into a big step
increase price-wise over single-PS units.  I wound up going with a
Supermicro SuperServer into which I dropped RAM, CPU, and disks that I
sourced elsewhere.  Tyan and I think Asus also have similar offerings.

My Supermicro has been working very, very nicely in colo but it had a
marginal PS that had to be replaced first - box kept shutting off by
itself - and getting a replacement was not trivial due to the need to
match sizes exactly (in fact, I went make/model-exact because I didn't
want to incur any screw-hole mismatches).

- Jeff