[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Mar 28 22:13:08 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 20:20 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> NOTES
>        This  tool  is provided for compatibility with the traditional
> System V
>        init(8).  Upstart has no notion of runlevels itself, this and
> the  run?
>        level(8) tool are provided to emulate their behaviour.
>
>        When invoked it generates a runlevel event, with an argument
> containing
>        the new runlevel.
>
> If I want X to shut down, I use "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" (as root or
> with sudo, of course).  The SysV init package isn't used (at least on
> Edgy and Feisty) any longer.  /etc/inittab does not exist on my
> system.
>
>     ? Mike
I have clearly been out of Debian realms for a long time. Maybe I should
play some with the Ubuntu CD I downloaded just so I can keep a bit more
current on non-SysV systems.

The switch from Slackware to RedHat was painful. Now I have to really
scratch my head to work on a Slackware box :) I still have my
subscription to slackware but I haven't installed it for more than a
"look-see" in years.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering