[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:20:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:20 -0400, Jim wrote:

> Or maybe the question is how come run level 3 brings up X.
>
> I'm running ubuntu 6.10 and trying to install the Nvidia drivers.  It
> says "you are running X and I can't install until stop X" or words to
> that effect, so I ctrl-alt-f1 and telinit 3.  Pretty much nothing
> happens.  X is still running.
>
> So I telinit 1 and get into single user.  Nvidia says "Caution this
> might not work, init 3 or telinit 3" or words to that effect.  OK so I
> do.  Pop! up comes X.
>
> I guess I could killall X but what's the use of run levels if they don't
> work as expected? Am I missing something?

I know that as of when they (Ubuntu) started using Upstart, they started
doing things differently.  It doesn't directly support the concept of
runlevels:

NOTES
       This  tool  is provided for compatibility with the traditional
System V
       init(8).  Upstart has no notion of runlevels itself, this and the
run?
       level(8) tool are provided to emulate their behaviour.

       When invoked it generates a runlevel event, with an argument
containing
       the new runlevel.

If I want X to shut down, I use "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" (as root or with
sudo, of course).  The SysV init package isn't used (at least on Edgy
and Feisty) any longer.  /etc/inittab does not exist on my system.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!