[ale] I almost have sendmail working but for one slight problem

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Mar 26 11:30:56 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 10:45 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> So is there a way to tell sendmail my host name is that horrible adsl
>> line but leave the system hostname alone?
>>

> Yes, But why?  You should be able to use any registered domainname as
> long as you are using BellSouth's mailservers as "smart hosts" within
> you sendmail config.

Well, for one thing I don't have any spare registered domain names and
for another keeping up with domains, finding dns servers, etc. seems
like more work than it's worth, that is if I understand what you are saying.
> Back to your question.... In Sendmail, you want masquerading.  Basically
> you can do stuff like this in sendmail.mc:
>
>    define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `<your_domainname>')
>    FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
>    FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
>
> Don't forget to recompile the .mc into .cf.
>
> -Jim P.

I tried that.  It didn't work.  So I went off reading about
masquerading.  It seems this might work too:

MASQUERADE_AS(`adsl-065-xxx-xxx-xxx.sip.asm.bellsouth.net')

But it didn't.

I looked in the .cf file and as far as I could tell, the info got into
it OK.

What exactly are the 'dnl' tags?  I figured they are comment delimiters,
but why at both the beginning and the end?

Thanks,
Jim.