[ale] OT fairtax isn't

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:17:27 EDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Well we'll have to agree to disagree.
>
> Confusing because of "prebates".   I don't see the need.  If you only
> make $1000 a year you pay significantly less than someone making
> $1,000,000.

But the tax for the person making $1000 is going to reduce the ability
of the destitute to buy bread, whereas tax on the person making
$1,000,000 reduces their ability to buy a 17th BMW.  It's a question
of what is just in a society.  Do citizens have a basic right to the
necessities of life in the wealthiest nation in the world, or do
citizens have the right to sit on 'their' pile of cash and watch the
nations infrastructure crumble around them.

What has anyone figured that this sales tax economy will cost per
dollar.  Tennessee (no state income tax) has a %9.75 tax on all goods,
food or BMW.  Georgia income tax is about a fourth of the state income
tax, so round about %50 on all goods.  That's going to be some
expensive milk and cheese, let me tell you.