[ale] OT fairtax isn't

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 16 15:18:55 EDT 2007

Well we'll have to agree to disagree.

Confusing because of "prebates".   I don't see the need.  If you only
make $1000 a year you pay significantly less than someone making
$1,000,000.

It can be gamed because of the "prebates".   It can also be gamed
because of the bartering you mentioned.  It also doesn't talk about
items "imported" for personal use.

The tax I mentioned isn't "progressive" in percentage but in dollars.
The current system is "progressive" in BOTH so the one I proposed would
ease some of the burden on people making more for the reasons I
previously stated.
By the way:  The sales tax would also be "progressive" in the same
dollars by dint of the fact that richer folks would presumably buy more.
In fact in this way the "fairtax" isn't because people who make more
folks can usually save more of their take home than poorer ones.   My
savings rate dramatically increased when I moved into IT from my prior
career.

We are to trust businesses with the tax money?  The same way we trusted
Enron?  Adelphia?  Phar-Mor?  Not saying trusting government is much
better but really...

My main point is that "fair" is a relative term.  Proponents of this tax
see it as "fair" but I don't for the reasons given.

Anyway - not trying to start a flame war.  Just figured it was OK to
propose alternate suggestions to political signatures than to leave them
unchallenged.