[ale] VM ?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Mar 11 20:33:20 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 18:40 -0400, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> Assuming you are using VMWare Server, when you create the new virtual
> machine, it should give you the option to create a new virtual disk,
> use an existing virtual disk, or use a physical disk. When using the
> third option, you can (in most cases) point it at your windows
> partition and boot right up. I run a Dell Latitude 120L and did not
> get prompted to reactivate (volume license key), but did get prompted
> on an older Dell desktop. It's a crapshoot, but well worth it if it
> works out...for very obvious reasons.

Does anyone here use VMServer in a headless environment?  I'm looking at
installing it in our data center to give me some virtual machines as
needed.  Since the server is in the rack I will have no keyboard, video,
or mouse on this system.  Everything must be started remotely via ssh or
via the host's serial console.  I do plan on installing a mutil-port
serial board and allow each VM to have that as its ttyS0 so I can have
those as serial consoles as well.  I have a serial console server in the
rack so this is extremely easy to do.