[ale] how to backup/export gmail

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:51:35 EST 2007

I want to find a good way to back up gmail. Right now it is around 1.5G in
size. Google Search turned up backup tips on downloading emails to
outlook/thunderbird, etc, using the free POP3.
I am a bit greedy so I want some sort of export (XML or otherwise) instead.
In the event of gmail account deletion, it can be load right back to Gmail
or Google Desktop (?) .   For the least, I'd like to maintain the threading,
label, and powerful search after restoration to a MUA other than gmail
itself.