[ale] DVB-s HD and Linux

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 16:54:28 EDT 2007

Local programming is not part of FTA.  You can get ABC, CBS, NBC, and
whole bunch of other stuff, but your pulling in Wyoming or Chicago,
etc.  I think GPB is a FTA station though.

I've got OTA HD, my TV has a tuner built in thought.  I'm in k-saw
right now so my signal is a bit on the weak side.

I could get a standard def FTA package with all the fixin's for about
$200.  This includes the satellite, reciever, motor, lnb etc.  But
I've got an HDTV, it's soo tempting.

An HDTV FTA recieve costs around $400 alone, which starts to get the
project out of my budget.  I was thinking if I can get a PCI DVB-s
HDTV card might be the ticket.  I've been to the site you mention,
they don't seem to show any supported DVB-s HDTV card, just OTA HDTV
cards.

-M

On 6/15/07, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about this http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S_devices ?
>
> I've never heard of getting local programming via satellite before. Do
> you just aim a dish at a certain location and you magically get local
> programming? If so, I might want to consider it as an option. I've
> been looking at buying a Channel Master CM4228 antenna so I can get HD
> over-the-air (OTA). In that situation, I plan on buying the card you
> mention to put in a PVR.
>
> I'm interested to know what you come up with and how well it works.
>
> On 6/15/07, Matt Kubilus <mattkubilus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with this?
> >
> > I am interested in a FTA (free-to-air) satellite setup.  There seems
> > to be a number of cards that can do standard def with linux, but I'm
> > having a lot of trouble finding info on HD cards with linux.
> >
> > I found the pcHDTV hd-5000 card, but it seems to be limited to over
> > the air signals.
> >
> > Matt

> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos