[ale] Clock problems with two SuSE setups

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 4 11:20:37 EDT 2007

ALErs-

I updated my SuSE-9.2, -10.1 and -10.2 systems by RPM to
'timezone-2.5-34.1' to adapt to our [brilliant] new daylight savings
calendar. I don't know if it's related to the change, but I've recently
noticed that my two laptops' system clocks are wildly off when I start
them, and badly off (10s of minutes) even if I just reboot Linux without
cycling power.

I first suspected a hardware problem in the -9.2 machine where I first
noticed the problem, but with two bad actors I tend to blame some
installation or configuration issue. I tried running the clocks in local
time but that didn't help, so now they're back on UTC and still giving
trouble.

I have no reason to suppose this is specific to SuSE setups; that's just
what I have here, and the two laptops are the ones frequently restarted.

Has anyone on the list dealt with this type of problem?

TIA.
 - Mills