[ale] Comcast Speeds (again)

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:08:29 EDT 2007

On 7/30/07, David Tomaschik <ozone at webgroup.org> wrote:

> I've begun to wonder if Comcast is specifically NOT rate-limiting
> connections to speed test sites.  I know I've never seen 27 Mbps down,
> but speedtest.net claims that's what I'm getting.  I'm paying for 6.
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/162460207.png
>
> --
> David Tomaschik
> Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org
> http://matir.wordpress.com

David,

Check their faq on speedburst or something like that.  Effectively you
get untrottled for a a second or two, then they throw in the throttle.

Point being for page browsing, most of what your pulling is small
files that come across very fast.  So there really is a benefit to
them doing it.

For bigger things like a FTP download, you get throttled.

I assume speedtest.net is not sending much data, so your seeing the
unthrottled speed.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer