[ale] A petabyte here, a petabyte there ...

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:19:41 EDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> > Greg Freemyer wrote:
> >> I've had 2 different client conversations in the last 2 days.
> >>
> >> All I can say is "A petabyte here, a petabyte there, and pretty soon
> >> you're talking real data".
> >>
> >> Seriously, one claimed to have 3 PB of unstructured data (office
> >> files, logs, etc.).  The other one was smaller.  They only had 1 PB of
> >> unstructured data.
> >>
> >> I admit to being a little taken aback, especially the first time.  I
> >> guess it is time to add exabyte to my repertoire.  That way I can say,
> >>
> >> "Oh.., only .1% of a Exabyte, sure our solution can handle that with
> >> no problem. (cough, cough) I was afraid you would need something
> >> large."
> >>
> >> Are others starting to see numbers like that at the large Enterprise
> >> level?  (Both of these companies had multiple NAS units at multiple
> >> sites.  I think the biggest single NAS I heard of is 200TB so far.  I
> >> really had gotten away from these huge systems for while.  I guess I
> >> need a refresher about what's happening out there in the "enterprise
> >> world".)
> >
> > How large are the companies?  I'd be willing to bet they have no idea
> > what makes up all that data..
>
> How large are the companies?  I'd be willing to bet they have no idea
> what makes up all that data..

One had 30,000 employees spread across the country.  So it is only
100GB per employee.  Mind you I think we only have 5 or 10 GB /
employee on our servers and I think that is excessive.

We're trying to sell them an indexing solution that also covers their
backup tapes, so it is an interesting adventure.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group