[ale] Slicehost options

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 16:36:49 EST 2007

Obviously, this could degenerate into a holy war.

I run CentOS 4.4 on my VPS (from tektonic.net) and it's a cinch. I
personally prefer rpm-based distros to those employing deb packages. From my
experience with suse, centos, and ubuntu, I think redhat (centos) is the
better bet for servers. It's rock solid - and the easiest one to update in
my experience if you want to move up versions.

That being said, I have run kubuntu and ubuntu in both desktop and server
configs. For desktops, I think it's great, but wasn't impressed at all with
it's server performance.

WMM

On 1/31/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> We're thinking of moving our company website to slicehost (
> www.slicehost.com).
>
> They only offer a few distros:
>
> Ubuntu Dapper, CentOS 4.3, Gentoo (2006.1) and Debian Etch
>
> I took a one-week Redhat (CentOS) boot camp 2 or 3 years ago, but the
> vast majority of my real-world experience is with SuSE.
>
> Any suggestion of which of the above would be easiest for me to
> administer?  Even though it is very different I'm leaning towards
> CentOS because of the boot camp.
>
> Thanks
> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer
> The Norcross Group
> Forensics for the 21st Century

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2