[ale] MintWifi

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 10:30:40 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 09:55 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Thursday 25 January 2007 09:46, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > NDIS is just an API for writing drivers for NICs.  That's why the files
> > can be loaded by a Linux kernel module, because they follow the API.
> > Honestly, I think that something like the Uniform Driver Interface would
> > be better, but I don't don't see Microsoft and Apple agreeing to such a
> > thing anytime soon.  Perhaps the free operating systems would be able to
> > unite their individual driver-bases with something like this...
>
> I guess my basic question then, is what formats can Linux do with a wifi card?
> I had to open up the security on my router to gain access using linux. with
> XP I have it set to WEP. I wasn't quite sure how to setup the wifiradar for
> either WPA or WEP.
> is it my Intel 2915 problem?

I don't think so.  Check iwconfig and see if you can turn on the WEP key
that way.  It should "just work" in the interface; I use NetworkManager
to do it on my laptop.

WPA, as I recall, is something that Linux can do if the card can do it.
There are programs out there for managing that, and I think that
NetworkManager is supposed to be able to handle that, as well.  I would
have to take a look at your card/box to know (guess?) what it is doing,
though, because I haven't used an Intel card as of yet.  I mostly use
Atheros, though I have my WRT54G and whatever is inside that, running
OpenWRT.  Then again, I don't do anything with the Wireless under it; it
just manages it for me.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!