[ale] USE SATA? RE: Ubuntu no go

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Sat Jan 13 13:33:31 EST 2007

> One of the purposes of this machine is a file server of which I have
> over a terabyte of ide disks already.  I really don't want to spend a
> few hundred dollars to replace them just so I can run Ubuntu.  :)

I did some work on a 965 machine for a customer.   Fedora is a good bet
because it is 2.6.18.1, great support for the latest SATA.   Once Ubuntu
makes their isolinux boot disk with all "all-generic-ide" styel of
kernel you will not have this problem.   Fedora does this in FC6.

You may well like Ubuntu once that is done.   The problem is in the
install disk, not the philosophy or the quality of the rest of the
distributuion.  I would hope that this is all fixed in next release
(Fiesty Fawn), as the 965 chipsets and completer PATA chips are becoming
very common.

- Jim