[ale] USE SATA? RE: Ubuntu no go

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Jan 13 06:59:59 EST 2007

Barlow, Jim D wrote:

>> EliteGroup ECS P965T-A.  It was on sale at Fry's last week, with a 6400
>> processor.
>>

> This board from the logs looks like an Intel Chipset (965)
>
> Why don't you switch to a SATA drive and turn off the Jmircron PATA
> controller (if that is an option need to turn IDE off) in BIOS.
>
> The Jmicron chips have been thrown on the boards because the Intel no
> longer has PATA support natively.
>
> - Jim

One of the purposes of this machine is a file server of which I have
over a terabyte of ide disks already.  I really don't want to spend a
few hundred dollars to replace them just so I can run Ubuntu.  :)

 It's now happily running FC6 as an Xen dom0 with a debian domU.  I had
a centos domU running before but lost the configuration and haven't
bothered to recreate it yet, since it wasn't really production, just a
test to see if it worked since I had a centos partition on the disk.  I
might put ubuntu on a spare partition as a guest and see how that works.