[ale] Hit Counter

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Feb 14 09:01:05 EST 2007

Terry Bailey wrote:

> Sure.  Here it is.  Solving the problem would be nice.

Off the cuff:

* I'm pretty sure that IE isn't going to display an X11 bitmap image
(Mozilla probably only does due to its ancient Netscape heritage)

* the hard coded "$LOCK_XX" constants might be causing problems if the
calls to lock and unlock weren't commented out; replace those with "use
Fcntl qw( :flock )" and then use LOCK_SH() instead.

* the way it's storing the digits is . . . erm . . . interesting
(basically it's storing each column (1s, 10s, ..., 10ks) as a separate
line and then doing kinda something odometer-ish with them), but I don't
see any reason that'd cause problems right off

That said, you'd probably be better off grabing something like the
ImageCounter script from the nms project than trying to resurrect this.

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml