[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 28 09:33:22 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 08:04:19PM -0400, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> If someone continually abuses, then post-banning for awhile (not well
> thought out yet...don't freak) or some such thing to enforce the
> rules.  After all, what good are rules and asking people to nicely
> follow the rules if you can't enforce those rules should someone get
> unmanageable?

What rules?  Where are they posted?  When are they sent out?  You
haven't even defined what abuse is, or what is acceptable, or what is
marginal, but you're talking about splitting the list in 3 and
potentially banning people from posting.

James is right, ALE needs to have a list of rules posted prominently on
the web site, and sent with sign-up confirmation email.  Hell, send it
with the mailman monthly reminders too.  But before you do *anything*,
you need to tell people what is acceptable and what is not.  Maybe that
alone will be enough.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9