[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 20:04:19 EDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 6:22 PM, James Sumners wrote:

> I think moderation as you are proposing is absolutely the worst way to
> go. Greg already pointed out the biggest problems with that idea. It
> is slow and will probably drive more people away than it brings in.
> Don't get me wrong; my head might actually explode if I see one more
> useless "Ping!OMFG IM NOT GETTING EMAIL!" thread. But leaving it up to
> one, or a handful of people, as to what gets through and what doesn't
> is not the solution.

Well, honestly, I was so tired of the circumstances that got caused
from time to time that I was willing to moderate solo.

Now keep in mind that we are all aware of Mailman's capabilities, and
I see the disconnect here.  I don't actually intend on turning on the
"all emails" moderation queue feature of mailman.  My idea was to do
precisely what has been suggested a few times.  Essentially, the
thwacking head-side with a large trout and making fun of your mother,
thus moving threads to -chat when necessary.

If someone continually abuses, then post-banning for awhile (not well
thought out yet...don't freak) or some such thing to enforce the
rules.  After all, what good are rules and asking people to nicely
follow the rules if you can't enforce those rules should someone get
unmanageable?

Anyhow, please do keep the ideas coming.  It appears we're all on the
same page.

--Jerald