[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Sep 6 12:04:14 EDT 2006

On 9/6/2006 at 8:40 AM Chris Ricker wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a more comprehensively-packaged Linux distro is in order.
>>
>> In Gentoo, "emerge unrar" gets the job done.
>
>It's available for Fedora as part of Livna. It's not in Fedora Core /
>Fedora Extras for the usual "its not free software" reasons, something
>Gentoo doesn't particularly care about....

That's odd.  I'm guessing that Fedora's definition of 'free' is meaning 'open-source' rather than just free.  Unrar is free, and while it isn't open-source they do provide the source code, also for free.  I wouldn't know how to compile it myself nor figure out how to get the rpm off rpm.livna.org, but I can tell you where to find the source code as well as the rest of the free unrar downloads: <http://rarlabs.com/rar_add.htm>

See also their direct downloadable file listings at:
<http://files.rarlab.com/rar/>

Cheers,
Robert~
---