[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 6 09:17:10 EDT 2006

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a more comprehensively-packaged Linux distro is in order.
>>
>> In Gentoo, "emerge unrar" gets the job done.
>
> It's available for Fedora as part of Livna. It's not in Fedora Core /
> Fedora Extras for the usual "its not free software" reasons, something
> Gentoo doesn't particularly care about....

That's a sweeping statement.  If portage is used to install software on
Gentoo, how else would you have unrar installed?  It's installed
unmodified adhering to the license agreement.  It's try before you buy
software, how should it be tried?  I might be wrong about something, but
a general statement like that...