[ale] Package Management across multiple machines?

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Fri Oct 27 15:46:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:17:28 -0400 Robert wrote:
RLH>   At my current company we have a system that will keep packages and
RLH> files up to date on a multitude of servers (we had 800 production at one
RLH> time).  This system will use rsync to copy out needed files, overwriting
RLH> when called for, ignoring when the files are right.  There was a
RLH> hierarchy of servers to manage the packages in different physical areas
RLH> if needed.
RLH>
RLH>   Now the question, has anyone seen anything open source or commercial
RLH> that does similar?  Ideally it'll import Debian and Redhat packages and
RLH> then push out the file and directory structure.

Yum-pull?

"The yum-pull utility pulls down Linux package repositories and stores them on
a local drive. Rsync and lftp pull down the files from randomly selected
repositories to balance the load. It creates the yum, apt, and up2date
headers. The files pulled by this script are re-shared to your rpm-based linux
client machines."