[ale] Package Management across multiple machines?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Oct 27 11:17:28 EDT 2006

  At my current company we have a system that will keep packages and
files up to date on a multitude of servers (we had 800 production at one
time).  This system will use rsync to copy out needed files, overwriting
when called for, ignoring when the files are right.  There was a
hierarchy of servers to manage the packages in different physical areas
if needed.

  Now the question, has anyone seen anything open source or commercial
that does similar?  Ideally it'll import Debian and Redhat packages and
then push out the file and directory structure.

Any suggestions?  Googling for "software package management" isn't as
helpful as you'd think.
  Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar