[ale] Fw:HOW2 resolve aptitude conflict ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 11:19:12 EDT 2006

On my gateway/firewall running Sarge:

"jsumners at bastian:~$ apt-cache show initrd-tools
Package: initrd-tools
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 176
Maintainer: Debian kernel team <debian-kernel at lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.1.81.1
Depends: coreutils | fileutils (>= 4.1.9) | stat (>= 3.0), cpio,
cramfsprogs (>= 1.1-4), dash, util-linux (>= 2.11b-3)
Filename: pool/main/i/initrd-tools/initrd-tools_0.1.81.1_i386.deb
Size: 30734
MD5sum: 9bc27d470467c55e21999c71a949fa5b
SHA1: 6f6ad74f266eef7036a8d0d67f86f5eef65fc50f
SHA256: 7c3b7536a8968b304c21f6b27ede227d4908f24150044c0d71a77b8edeee5420
 This package contains tools needed to generate an initrd image suitable for
 booting a prepackaged Linux kernel image (as shipped with the Debian main
 distribution).  It does not cater for other uses of initrd at the moment."

So the version you need is definitely in the Sarge repository. Try
this: `apt-get clean && apt-get update && dpkg --force-all --purge
initrd-tools && apt-get install initrd-tools
kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7`. That will remove any debs you have laying
around from installing packages, make sure you have the latest package
lists, completely remove the initrd-tools package (ignoring any
warnings about package dependencies), and reinstall the initrd-tools
package along with the kernel you want. If that fails, please copy and
paste the output.

For some reason apt doesn't want to update the initrd-tools package
installed on your machine. Forcing dpkg to remove it and then
reinstalling it should fix that problem; or at least provide more
information as to what is causing apt to ignore the upgrade.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59