[ale] Ubuntu for developers?

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 10:13:35 EDT 2006

Size of an installation medium cannot be a basis for what "it has and doesnt
have", specially regarding a Repository driven Distro like ubuntu. If its
not on the CD , its very easily accessible via gnome-app-install (that cool
little add/remove programs bit in Gnome), or synaptic. one reason I always
liked debian over FC was by fact of matter that it "didnt" install all that
stuff at the install phase, and let me install it later without a whole lot
of hassle.

Most of this opinion would to me be derived from the idea that installing
software on a system is a restless job, or to others its been that way. I
would say that accessibility to development tools, applications, and so
forth in Ubuntu is a bit more extensive than what I would see in Fedora.

On 10/20/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> My biggest question has been "Does it have all I need?".  I guess the
> reason I ask this is because FC5 came on DVD and Ubuntu came on CD-R.
> If I use the development tools and other stuff from FC5 how can Ubuntu
> have everything in an installation?
>
> I've installed Ubuntu on family computers with success for them.  They
> still sometimes boot into Windows but for many things they do I've got
> them going into Ubuntu.  It is a step in the right direction for them
> and I thin Ubuntu has helped me in that regard.
>

> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 09:00 -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> > I'm very experienced Linux guy.  I've been using it for over 10 years
> using
> > various distributions.  Gentoo is my preference right now.  At my
> office, we
> > have a couple of linux-newbies that would like to get off Windows.  I
> really
> > don't want to recommend Gentoo to them, because at work, they need to
> focus
> > more on getting work done, and Gentoo does have some higher maintenance.
> > know that I'm going to be their first and second level support for Linux
> > issues.
> >
> > One of them asked about Ubuntu.  I know virtually nothing about this
> > distribution.  However, I've gotten the impression that it makes a lot
> > decisions for you.  Since these guys are developers, and we tend to need
> very
> > explicit versions of various tools, I've kind of steered them away from
> > Ubuntu.  Have a made a mistake?  Would this be a good distribution for
> them?
> > Will I be able to figure out how to help them easily configure stuff
> knowing
> > only general Linux stuff, and not Ubuntu in particular?
> >
> > Is there a better distribution to recommend to them?
> >
> > David

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."