[ale] boot from CD-ROM only when asked, for Linux

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:08:04 EDT 2006

Often I need/want to leave a bootable cd ( such as CentOS ServerCD) in a
running server, in case I need to boot from it to rescue and such.
I have been able to do so with

   - solaris  in EEPROM 'b cdrom' (less desirable, since one needs to
   change boot-order in BIOS settings on x86 platform)
   - windows (press-a-key to boot from cdrom)

The windows solution is easier to me and seems to be handled by load
manager. Can GRUB or LILO do it for Linux (CentOS4/RHAS4/RHL9)? Assume I
have BIOS- redirect-to-serial enabled (Dell PowerEdge series) and serial
console enabled through GRUB and inittab.