[ale] large file downloads & Comcast

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:29:10 EDT 2006

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Some months back, our Comcast service deteriorated until we were getting
> 2-3 drops a day and it took forever to restore sync.  I finally called
> them out here and they checked our level, which was adequate, and they
> took some length off the cable to the modem and redid some of my
> connectors (the younger of the two guys made a smartass remark about the
> connector job and I looked at him and said "None taken").  Things have
> been working pretty well since, but the fact of the matter is that there
> was a deterioration which is bound to get so bad that even the slight
> improvements they made are no help.  My analog CATV service looks like
> crap on many channels, and in the past few months I've noticed that
> Comcast seems to have pixellation or pixellate-and-freeze-up problem on
> a regular basis.

I have signal issues with the DTV service here, but not so much with the
cable modem.  I would have thought that they would be the same, because
as I understand it, the node is the same for both services.  *shrugs*  I
think, though, after watching and waiting and seeing what is going on,
that it is probably just a problem with the DVR's decoder and not being
able to cope with noise on the line.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.