[ale] acpi + hibernation + network interfaces + CPU utilization + Ubuntu Edgy = problems

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 21:41:30 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 20:56 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I've got Edgy installed on my laptop (T60p) and for the most part things
> work well.  However, there are a few hibernation/restore (via acpid)
> problems that I need some additional assistance with as I can't seem to
> locate any log errors that identify a problem.
>
> First, coming out of hibernation, the wireless network interface
> (ipw3945) exists but sometimes won't become active.  That is
> NetworkManager doesn't recognize it, and manually setting it has no
> affect.  However, "ifconfig -a" clearly shows the interface.
>
> Secondly, occasionally entering hibernation (closing laptop lid) the
> memory never swaps to disk and I ca re-open the lid and get an X session
> back.  Looking at the process table I can see the acpi hibernate scripts
> still running but I don't see any reason in /var/log/acpid to indicate
> why the system never successfully hibernated.  Kill -9 has no affect on
> anything, and shutting down (or trying to reboot) results in the system
> eventually hanging in some unknown (and blank) state... but still
> powered on.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug these issues?

Well, I got no input on debugging, so I went ahead and just tried all
the possible things that Google could suggest.  In the end, and without
having to completely re-install, adding these kernel boot options solved
the problems:

  ec_intr=0 acpi=force pci=noacpi acpi_sleep=s3_bios resume=/dev/sdaXX

-Jim P.