[ale] HOW2 force the installation of a utililty that is "out ofversion" in Debian ?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:17:08 EST 2006

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Thanks James. I already tried that. In fact, that's how I got the formerly
> working version of pump into
>     /var/cache/apt/archives
>
> Then I tried,
>     apt-get install pump
>
> with the previously posted err msg of
>     no candidate for installation.

that right.  apt is looking for the download mirror.  if you move it to
a directory yourself then you will use "dpkg" (debian package) to
install it.  (apt is just a nice frontend to dpkg)

if it were me i would do this:
place the pump deb in /opt/<some directory>
open a terminal
cd /opt/<some directory>
then do:
dpkg -i foo-vvv-rrr.deb

this will install a package (including unpacking and configuring) onto
the file system of the hard disk.

i think this is more what you are after.