[ale] HOW2 force the installation of a utililty that is "out of version" in Debian ?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 17:56:09 EST 2006

Courtney Thomas wrote:
<snipped>

> But when I: apt-get -f install jump, I just get a complaint
> that..."package pump is not available", though it is in
> /var/cache/apt/archives as jump-0.8.3-3_i386.deb.
>
> Guidance appreciated,
>
> Courtney

Courtney, I don't immediately see "jump", by chance do you mean "pump"?

the latest pump package i see is:
Source package pump

    * oldstable (base): 0.8.11-5
      Binary packages: pump, pump-udeb

    * stable (base): 0.8.21-2
      Binary packages: pump

    * testing (admin): 0.8.24-2
      Binary packages: pump

    * unstable (admin): 0.8.24-2
      Binary packages: pump

which would be installed "apt-get install pump"
i usually do:
	apt-get update
	apt-get install <package> --dry-run (goes through all the motions of
installing without actually doing so)

then if all looks good i do the command again without the "--dry-run"

apologies if i am mistaken...