[ale] Printing to non-standard papersizes

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun May 28 23:41:11 EDT 2006

David Corbin wrote:
> I would like to print some stuff out on index cards (4x6 as the case happens).
> I have an HP2100TN.
>
> I created an OpenOffice document with a 4x6 page. That part works great.  But
> I'm unable to get anything to show up on the 'printed' card.  It does feed
> through the printer from the manual feed tray, it's just all blank.  If I
> print a "regular" document, the print on it looks like it would in the center
> of a traditional page (horizontally) and at the top of the page (vertically).
>
> My document has enough white space that it is probably just "misaligned".
>
> Now, my CUPS printer doesn't list 4x6 size paper.  I even edited the .ppd file
> for it add a 4x6 to it, near as I can tell.  In OO, it won't remember my
> printer properties.  If I change the settings in CUPS to 4x6, it shows up OO
> that way (though it won't carry the Landscape setting forward), but I still
> get nothing when I print.

Your print driver must support the paper size.  If you don't have a 4x6
paper size to select from file->printer settings->properties->paper
size, then it's just not going to print properly.  You also must set the
format->page->format properly.  You might get lucky by manually setting
the width/height, but I doubt it.

I had a similar problem trying to print to envelopes.  The driver did
not have a #10 envelope paper size under the printer settings.   I ended
up, through trial and error, selecting a combination of margin settings
and width/height that worked, but I had to single feed the envelopes.  I
upgraded my driver to the latest version and it had support for #10
envelopes and all worked well then.

> I hate to say it, but this is easy with MS products.  What's the trick here?

I hate to say it, but that kind of statement is close enough to a troll
to not get you any help.  It's of no use, other than to piss someone
off.  Is there really any reason to throw it in?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin