[ale] mounting an SD card

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:26:15 EDT 2006

On Wed, June 28 2006 12:23, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed June 28 2006 11:17 am, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > > Does it HAVE to open all of these windows????
> >
> > It probably detects three different types of devices. ?What does the
> > kernel ring buffer (dmesg) say after you plug it in and the device
> > is recognized?
>
> if you said that in English and give me directions, I'd be able to give
> you a better answer;)
> ok, looked up dmesg.. did a dmesg -c then plugged in my camera:

Interesting... I only see the one USB event in that output.  Is your output
from dmesg always that small?

(Sorry about just spewing about that earlier, by the way. I am glad that you
found out where to look for it, though.)

The only other place I can think of that might have additional information
would be the kernel log file.  That would be much too large to post here,
though -- check into that and look for USB events when you plug the camera
in/unplug it.

The best thing to do would be to watch it by using "tail" on it:

 $ tail -f /var/log/kern.log

(This is assuming that your system calls the kernel log "kern.log" -- some
systems have it as kernel.log, and weirder ones have it in even weirder
places.)

Start that tail -f, and then watch what happens as you plug in the camera
and then unplug it, see what the resulting output is.  Maybe, that will
provide some additional clue.

	- Mike