[ale] Linux Sys Admin needed

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 15 08:16:58 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 21:25 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> driving to work drove me to retire:)
>
> I guess I'm getting a little upset thinking about driving from the burbs
> to ATL.  What really pisses me off is to see job listings for cash that
> could no way support a person living downtown.  The only option is to
> live in the burbs and spend 30m per day in traffic.

When was the last time you made the drive?  I don't think you can get
anywhere in Atlanta in 30 minutes, particularly at rush hour.  When is
that?  From 5:00 am to 4:59 am every day.

I used to drive from Woodstock to Alpharetta (drop my daughter off at a
Montessori school there) then down 400 to Atlanta to work off of
Peachtree St.  I'd head up 75 to get home in the evening as my wife
would pick up my daughter.  I called it my circumnavigation of Atlanta.
  Round trip was something like 87 miles.  The things we'll do for our
children...

> If one person makes 50-60k then they would need at least one other
> person making good just to afford an apartment anywhere near downtown.
> My GF (now wife) lived in an apartment with a guy (think Will & Grace)
> and it took both their incomes to make it.  The apartments were built in
> the 40s and IMO were so sub-standard I would not have lived in them.

When I worked in town, I actually received a small wage increase from
AT&T because of the 'costly' work location.  It wasn't much, but it did
cover my monthly parking.

> When your employee spends 30+ minutes in stop and go traffic just to get
> to your office don't expect amazing performance.  They have been drained
> for the day.  I stopped going in 2+ years ago.  I thought I have DSL all
> my servers are headless.  Why do I need to go in.  Now I go in once per
> week to work on hardware and build product.  Why drive 30 minutes to sit
> behind a desk and code 8 hours when I have access to all my equipment
> there from home.  Makes no sense to me.

Amen, particularly on the roads in Atlanta.  Drive 70 miles an hour
bumper to bumper or get run over.  I've been fortunate enough to have
been working from home for the past 10 years.  My 1999 Mazda pickup has
54k miles on it. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin