[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 10 20:50:56 EDT 2006

J. D. wrote:
>      That is a wonderful example of a nasty mess Jim. To me this should
> really be a no brainer. It isn't fair at all and is completely against
> what I feel the Internet is about. Not to pull a chicken little here but
> isn't it really going down the tubes if availability is controlled by
> companies that could/would have a vested interest?

Just because someone has the power to do something, it doesn't mean they
will.  For instance, Comcast can disconnect my cable at any time, with
no recourse...but it's not in their interest.

Consider this:  Suppose Speakeasy wants to over VoIP to their customers.
    Speakeasy pays a significant upfront cost for offering DSL/Broadband
at $$/month, so it takes years before a subscription really pays it's
fair share (given the costs and expectations of
datacenters/uptime/services these days).  So, I think it is perfectly
legit for Speakeasy to not want Earthlink or Comcast to be able to offer
an equal, but free or discounted, VoIP service to Speakeasy customers
with the intention of luring those customers into long term contracts
including moving them away from Speakeasy.

I think Net Neutrality had it's day when the NSF ruled the Internet, and
those days are long gone.  It's a dog-eat-dog world now (look no further
then the underlying issues with spam, hosting, and peering) and big dogs
protect their turf.  I personally think Net Neutrality would cause
investors to invest less in the new "shared" infrastructure thus
producing many more problems down the road.

Imagine if Congress declared the sidewalk in front of your home could
be used for my next picnic.... and worse, you could be excluded from
partaking in the festivities. ;-)

-Jim P.