[ale] Comcast HSI was Re: 10M service

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Jun 2 12:23:43 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:22:05AM -0400, Joshua Kite wrote:
> In all fairness to Comcast, if it is a card, then there could be a bad batch
> of them. I know when I was working for a telecom company we received batches
> of bad cards.  In fact, one set of cards was well known for catching fire!
> A somewhat flakey card can be hard to catch and look like something
> completely different.  It's also possible that they've just designed the
> network poorly and added too many subscribers.  I know that cable companies
> have to split nodes all the time and we all happen to be in oversubscribed
> areas.
When I worked at Hughes Aircraft (for Mr. Hughes) we tracked lots of critical
components for failure history.  Thus if we saw a trend with a lot we could
yank the others before they all failed.  This isn't rocket science -- well,
what we were using the components for may have been.  This was the first
database I created.