[ale] Newbee needing help #6

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 15:05:09 EDT 2006

On 7/18/06, Bruce Jones <bruce.jones at mindspring.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> My reason for setting up SUSE is to operate Moodle (Blackboard knockoff) content to my students, specifically streaming video lectures (I teach CAD/Illustration online) to my students online.
>
> The issue: I have a static IP address, I have a registered site name, I have a ADSL connection (all thru Mindspring), I have SUSE Linux 10.0 running reasonably well, I can create and place a file index.htm in my root directory. How do I connect all these elements to make my machine available as an internet accessible server to my students?
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

Unfortunately you have a bunch of small things to accomplish to get
the above working.  You will likely need to post seperately on each
topic to keep this reasonable.

First, you've already posted on some very Suse 10.0 specific issues.
I personnaly post those sort of queries to the Suse Users List.
is relatively high-volume so be prepared for a lot of e-mail coming
from them.  My solution is to use a gmail account to subscribe to
mailing lists.  That way I can ignore it when I'm busy.  OTOH, my real
business e-mail can be quickly checked without all the clutter.

If you need an invitation to join gmail, just post back here.  There
are 10's of thousands of invitations going to waste on this list.

To get your Moodle setup going you need to resolve the following issues:

Suse Server firewall / security issues:
I would post on the suse list if you have questions, but you can do a
lot of the basics via yast.

DNS setup:
You need to get your registered name mapped to your static IP.  ie.
your students will put your registered name in their browser/client
and need dns working to automatically convert that to an IP.

ADSL Modem/Router setup:
Most routers perform NAT (network address translation) and all
incoming connection requests are blocked.  You have to configure the
router to forward the Moodle requests thru to your server.  That is
normally done one TCP port at a time.  i.e only forward the ports you
are really using.  Each port you forward is something else you need to
secure at the server.  Normal webservers live on port 80.  I have no
idea where Moodle lives.

Your server:
You need to get Moodle setup.  I don't know what Moodle is, so I can't
help you there.

HTH
Greg
--