[ale] iptraf / bandwidth monitoring

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Tue Jan 31 13:47:41 EST 2006

Just a semi-linux related, semi-off-topic quick question for those who
work in/for/around data centers.

For dedicated servers or collocated servers in data centers, what tools
are used to monitor bandwidth usage?

Let's just say, for instance that I have a dedicated server with a 200
GB transfer (and $0.89 per GB thereafter) included in the "dedicated
hosting" plan.  A friend puts up his portfolio on said server and it is
immensely popular.  4 days later and 35 GB of web traffic transfers
(webstats show), not to mention other ssh/rsync traffic, I'm starting to
worry about going over that 200 GB transfer limit, having never come
close ever before.

How is web traffic versus rsync/ssh versus dns versus any IP traffic
monitored, and is there any way on the (linux-based) server itself to do
this type of passive monitoring/logging (iptraf, maybe), to compare to
the provider's when I get the bill for the next month?

Thanks,
--
Charles Brian Quinn
www.seebq.com