[ale] OT easy html editor

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Jan 23 19:33:45 EST 2006

There have been a number of comments regarding using html and CSS and
taking me to task for saying that html is not a print layout language
(and, indeed, it was never meant to be - otherwise, one could hit the
space bar to one's heart's content and not worry about using    ie
html won't display more than one space at a time unless you use the
encoding for a space). Please go back and read the original request.
Someone who may not have an extensive computing background or resources
is trying to do a one to two page newsletter and needs a better way.

Using HTML + CSS to accomplish this is like using a tank to drive to
the grocery store for the average user, imho. It takes a really good
understanding of coding both HTML and CSS to accomplish this, and
lacking that knowledge, an expensive proprietary wysiwyg editor like
Dreamweaver.  CSS is a pain enough to deal with in web pages if trying
to be very specific in layout.

HTML was never meant to be a _layout_ language. It recognized that the
coder had no control over the viewing environment in terms of fonts
available, display area or screen resolution. This is never more
obvious than being in a school loaded with 800 x 600 monitors trying to
view a page written by someone who has a nice, sparkling 19" 1280 x 960
monitor and loves to use the full width- "Well, it looks fine on my
computer." - while the rest of us are scrolling right to see what was
hidden.

CSS makes it display like one, for example, by defining locations and
font sizes in specific terms. Yes, CSS does a good job but you have to
really know what you are doing to do it well - as a Mac user, I can't
tell you how many times somebody using Windows makes the CSS type
specification on a web page unreadably small for me. And then, you
still aren't accounting for browser differences (again, the original
poster didn't think he would even use Mozilla). I think a missionary
has better things to do than figure out how many pixels over or down he
needs the headline to be and where to put his img tags and what specs
he needs for every div and span. He wants to type a few words, throw in
a picture or two and be done with it.

I don't want to assume that someone who is having fits doing a two page
newsletter in Printshop is about to learn all the specs of CSS and whip
out notepad and write code. I've been writing html for years and still
struggle with the more arcane parts of CSS - one could be nasty and
assert that I have trouble with the more elementary parts as well ;-).

As well, there are plenty of freeware, shareware and OSS ways of
dealing with .pdfs. My take is that he's creating a newsletter and
printing it out or emailing it along ("opening")- no mention was even
made of displaying it on the web. .pdfs have their virtues - they [can]
carry their own fonts and images. If our missionary friend wants to use
some obscure font he's found - and what Printshop user doesn't - how
does he _easily_ accomplish that in html/css?

You may disagree - yes, in a strict sense I'm wrong but, then, I often
have trouble parking my tank at Publix. I think the suggestions about
using something like OpenOffice Writer are more appropriate.

Regards,
William